14 Outrageous California Meals You Won't Believe Exist
14 Outrageous California Meals
1. Doughnut Burger - San FranciscoYou may love hamburgers and you may love doughnuts, but would you love them together? Straw in San Francisco offers The Ringmaster - a cheese burger stuck between two glazed doughnuts (source). It's an interesting take on salty and sweet, but have they gone too far?
Flickr by Robyn Lee
2. Deep-Fried Piglet - Los Angeles
whole pig if you're looking for more. Apparently, they are big on pigs here...
Flickr by Larry
3. Whipper Burger - Los Angeles
According to the Hawkins Burgers menu, the Whipper Burger comes complete with two hamburger patties, pastrami, and a hot-link. There's also the option for cheese, and at that point, you
might as well.
From Hawkins Burgers
4. Slater's 50/50 - Southern California
Now, a burger isn't outrageous in and of itself, but include 50% bacon with 50% ground beef to create the 50/50 burger at Slater's 50/50 and you've got yourself something pretty amazing. But it doesn't stop there. They also offer a peanut butter and jelly hamburger, Fritos added to a burger, and a 'bacon everything' burger. We'll recommend the whole Slater's experience as outrageous!
Flickr by Drew Hubbard, Ben Waters
5. 12 Egg Omelet - Antioch
You'd better like eggs if you're brave enough to try this omelet at Lumpy's Diner. We're talking 12 eggs that combine to make an omelet the size of a football!
Flickr by nathanmac87
6. Chicken and Waffles - Southern CaliforniaRoscoe's is famous for their chicken and waffles. Yes, it's a "strange" combination and definitely rates on our outrageous California meals list, but it's surprisingly tasty. Once you try it, we're pretty sure you'll like it!
Flickr by James Bilbrey
7. Hubcap Challenge- RosevilleWhen you think of pancakes, you think a nice, manageable sized pancake with some syrup. At Jim-Denny's, pancakes aren't quite so 'manageable'. They offer the Hubcap Challenge - a huge pancake the size of a hubcap. Adding "spokes" means adding bacon or sausage on top. This outrageously large pancake offers up quite the challenge. Could you beat it?
8. BurritoZilla - San Jose
Iguana's Burritozilla offers one of the most outrageous California meals with their five pound, 18-inch burrito titled "BurritoZilla". It is the mother of all burritos and takes several tortillas just to make it. Would you be up for the challenge of conquering this giant burrito?
From Iguana's Burritozilla's Facebook Page
9. Toffee Meal Worms - San FranciscoYou may have eaten bugs as a kid accidentally...but now, it's "okay" to eat them as a grown up. That is, if you are willing to get past the fact that you're eating bugs. Don Bugito's has all of your bug taste buds covered. They are an "edible insect street food project" advertizing edible insects as a way to introduce high-protein foods (like bugs) as an answer for the shortage of these types of food. Check out their Etsy shop
for products like Chocolate Covered Salted Crickets, Chile-Lime Crickets, and their most popular Toffee Mealworms.
10. Chicken Liver Toast - Los AngelesThe first item on the Animal restaurant menu is Chicken Liver Toast. According to Yelpers, it's a good option on the menu and priced very reasonably. They also offer a host of other fun and different options just right for a discerning foodie. Would you pick the Chicken Liver Toast?
From Darin Dines
11. "Kryptonite" Sandwich - San FranciscoAt Ike's Place you can test your superhero capabilities to see if you can withstand the Kryptonite Sandwhich! With these ingredients: "
Avocado, Bacon, Beer Battered Onion Rings, EXTRA Pepper Jack, Ham, Mozzarella Sticks, Pastrami, Pesto, Roast Beef, Salami, Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers, Turkey" (source) and weighing almost 4 pounds, you may have met your match with this sandwhich. It definitely qualifies for our outrageous California meals list!
12. Ring of Fire Hot Sauce - San PedroSo...this isn't a meal, but it's pretty outrageous. The 710Grille's Ring of Fire Hot Sauce on their chicken wings is just as painful as it is tasty. Yelpers say to have a drink ready because your mouth will feel like it's on fire after eating these babies!
From Sure Beats Work
13. Dinosaur Sized Ribs - San DiegoAs one of the top 10 restaurants in San Diego, Phil's BBQ has a lot to offer, including Dinosaur Sized Ribs covered in Phil's own secret BBQ sauce. You will not walk away hungry, but that assuming you're even up for the challenge!
14. Surfin' California Burrito - San Diego
You haven't seen outrageous until you've seen Lucha Libre Taco Shop's Surfin' California Burrito. With these ingredients: "Grilled Steak, Shrimp, Fresh French Fries, Avocado, Pico De Gallo, Cheese, & Super Secret Chipotle Sauce" (source) you will be amazed and slightly overwhelmed (I know I was when I visited!). French Fries, you may say. Yes. 100% yes. This amazing burrito isn't for the faint of heart, but the taste is outrageously good and definitely needs to be on this list!
From The Wanderers