California Meal TipsEating out: Everyone loves a great meal and there is nothing better than going out with friends, but eating out all the time can hurt your chances of being ready for the beach this summer. Some things to consider when you eat out:
- What are you ordering? Check out the lighter menu options.
- Do you know what's in your dish? Restaurants add a lot of fattening ingredients - watch things like dressings, sauces, and side dishes.
- Whats a true portion size? They make take-out boxes for a reason!
- Do you really need dessert? Usually, the answer is no.
Flickr-RoOoNa Make it at home: Life is busy, but don't underestimate making your meals at home. Try making a salad the night before or bagging fruits and veggies as a snack or meal for the next day. Snacks: What are you snacking on? Sometimes we just crave something sweet or salty and that gets us in trouble. Check out these snack substitutes:
- Unsalted nuts in place of greasy chips
- Carrots in place of Chex Mix
- Fruit in place of a frappuccino
- One serving of dark chocolate in place of a candy bar
- Chew gum when you aren't hungry but feel the need to snack
California Fitness Tips
Take the stairs: It may seem too early to trek all the way up to your office but it's definitely a great decision to get you ready for the beach! Take a walk: It's easy to stay in one spot all day. Consider using a portion (or all) of your lunch break to take a walk! The exercise will energize you and help you avoid an afternoon slump. Say no to soda: Cut out this sugary drink and replace it with water to see the results for yourself. This could make the difference in losing the last few pounds you can't seem to get rid of!
California Workouts to Help You Get Ready for the BeachCardio Cali Style: However you like to fit it in, carido is a vital part of any workout routine. Instead of running on a treadmill, try getting your cardio in California-Style. Some suggestions: biking, rollerblading, beach volleyball, or Ultimate Frisbee. The more you involve your friends, the more exciting these actives will be. Strength Training: Don't underestimate the power of adding weights to any workout routine. Ladies may shy away from this, but adding weights to your workout doesn't mean you'll bulk up like a body builder. It will, however, mean toning, definition, and weight loss. Flicrk-Fitness First Germany
Gym or no gym - that is the question: Can't seem to make it to the gym? Uninspired by staring at a blank wall? Try your workout outside. The fresh air, scenery, and visual stimulation can be a great motivator. Also try working out in groups. It's great motivation and perfect for accountability.